I got this in an email this weekend. I don't usually forward these things, but I thought there were some interesting tips included here. So, I'm posting it. Call me a dork if you want, but I might have saved your life just now! You can thank me later.
Because of recent abductions in daylight hours, refresh yourself of these things to do in an emergency situation. This is for you and for you to share with your sister, your mom, your aunts, your children; everyone you know.
After reading these 9 crucial tips, forward them to someone you care about. It never hurts to be careful in this crazy world we live in.
1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
2. Tip from a tourist guide: If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you...Chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc. and just sit there (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc.) DON'T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE. If someone IS in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. The air bag will save you and if the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes, bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
5. A few other notes about getting into your car in a parking lot or parking garage:
A.) Be aware. Look around you and into your car; at the passenger side floor and in the back seat.
B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C.) Look in the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle. If a male is sitting alone in the passenger seat, you may want to walk back into the mall or office and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY (and better paranoid than dead.)
6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs when alone. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; and even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, preferably in a zig -zag pattern!
8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP! It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle, which is when he would abduct his next victim.
9. Maybe an Urban Myth, but maybe not: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch and she called the police because it was late. The police told her, "Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door!" The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried it would crawl to the street. The police told her, "Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door!" He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. It had not been verified, but there had been several calls from women saying that they hear baby's cries outside their doors when they're home alone at night. **
10. Water Scam: If you wake up in the middle of the night to hear all your taps outside running or what you think is a burst pipe, DO NOT GO OUT TO INVESTIGATE! These people turn on all your
outside taps full blast so that you will go out to investigate and then attack.
Stay alert, keep safe, and look out for your neighbors! Please pass this on to all the women you know. It may save a life. A candle is not dimmed by lighting another candle.
This should be taken seriously because the Crying Baby Theory was mentioned on America's Most Wanted when they profiled a serial killer in Louisiana.
**I googled the Crying Baby Theory and found that it is more commonly referred to as the Crying Baby Hoax. Either way, the tips in the email, seemed helpful. Hmm, now that makes me think about Urban Legends. Know any good ones???