Friday, June 12

Books, books, books!


I just finished The Covenant and I enjoyed it. It was a little slow to start and the genre is Religion/Amish, which is a big change for me, but the story picked up about half way through and I got very caught up in the story! The Covenant is the first in a series of books called Abram's Daughters. I knew this when I started the book yet I did not plan on reading on the rest of the series.

As I was reading the first few chapters (slow-going) I decided for sure that I would not read any more. Besides that, I have 10 (yes, ten!) new books on hand to read this summer. Now get this...the story did not end! It just read like there was another chapter. Like I could turn the page to the next chapter! I have read series of books before, but the author always finishes the current story. Ugh! How frustrating! I mean seriously!!!

So long story short, I would recommend The Covenant but make sure you have the second book at the ready!


**********

Like I said I already have a pile of 10 books I am ready to read! The Betrayal will have to wait!

I picked six book to take on vacation with me. That's how many I read last year. I might read less, but hey if I read them all, I'll just have to go buy another one (hmm, what might that be?!?)

Anyway, here are the books I am planning to read this month. If you've read any of them, let me know what you thought!

1. My Lobotomy A Memoir by Howard Dully

This is not at all like anything I have read before. I saw this at the book store this weekend anbd I have been wanting to read some non-fiction for a while so I thought I would check it out. I'm actully looking forward to it.

2. She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

I've had this on my books to read list for a long time. I'm not sure where I first heard about it.

3. Where Are You Now? by Mary Higgins Clark

I have been a Mary Higgins Clark fan for a long time. She was my first "favorite" author! I have not read all of her books, but many of them. I took a break for a while though because it seems her books all follow a certain pattern. Reading too many at one time makes them rather predictable.

4. Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

It seems everyone loves Jodi Picoult! I read My Sister's Keeper last year. I enjoyed it, but I was not happy with the ending. I am also not looking forward to the movie. I am not a Cameron Diaz fan and I feel like she is just not old enough to play the mom in this story. On that note, Diaz was in another movie based on a book I read, In Her Shoes. I felt she was too old for the part she played in that story! Anyway, I am looking forward to this book though. Seems rather interesting.

5. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

This is another book that has been on my books to read list for a long time. I believe I read a review of the book in a magazine. I also just found out that there is a made-for-tv movie based on this book. I'll watch it after I finish the book. That's always interesting to compare!

6. Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

This is a book Michelle let me borrow. We love Sophie Kinsella. I love the Shopaholic series, which reminds me, I need to check out that movie! I also read The Undomestic Goddess and Can You Keep A Secret? Her writing is just my style. Fun and easy to read and Always a happy ending! Perfect for the beach!

So there you have it, my summer reading list! What do you think?

5 comments:

Shea said...

I have the Abram's Daughters collection and have read them. I'll ship them to you if you send me your address!

sheabrown27@yahoo.com

Please give us your reviews on the books after you've read them. I'm always looking for a good story!

Kirsten said...

I read "She's Come Undone" years ago, I don't really remember much. I don't think I loved it, it was a little disturbing maybe? But it was OK. I am going to run out and get that Sophie Kinsella book though, I love everything else she wrote. Sometimes you don't want lessons, you don't want drama, you just want to have a good escape read and she is perfect for that. Have a great vacation. I am looking forward to the years when my kids are old enough to actually allow me to read a book when we are away. I have just managed to graduate to being able to read a magazine while on vacation. Maybe this summer I'll attempt an actual book!

Aayden and Aarons Mommy said...

I read she has come undone as well but it was quite some time ago. I don't remember much either but do remember that it wasn't my favorite and was sort of odd. lol :)

KatBouska said...

Wow we have a lot of the same taste in books! I read that lobotmy one too recently and was SHOCKED at what they did to that guy...and that he lived to tell about it! Amazing.

Casey's trio said...

I've read "She's Come Undone"-loved it and "Memory Keeper's daughter" also a good one.